Review: Welsh National Opera presents : Carmen at Liverpool Empire

Carmen was the first opera that I had ever attended and to be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.
  • Would I understand it? 
  • Would I be bored?
  • Would the theatre be full of seasoned opera goers who would look down on me as a novice to this genre?
The Welsh National opera (WNO) performed the opera over two days 7th & 8th Novermber at Liverpool's Empire Theatre. Gypsy Carmen is placed under arrest for striking another woman. Don Jose played by Peter Wedd facilitates her escape being punished with a prison sentence for his involvement. Whilst incarcerated, Carmen falls for a bullfighter Escamillo. Upon release from prison, Jose is persuaded by Carmen to leave the army and joins her with a group of smugglers. The relationship between the two is volatile. Micaela, a girl from Jose's village in the meantime convinces him to go and visit his dying mother. Carmen goes to watch her new lover Escamillo  in a bullfight. Consumed by jealousy, Jose kills Carmen in a rage.

I was pleasantly surprised by the performance and can confirm that none of my initial reservations were necessary. The orchestra played Bizet's score magnificently, the singers were on the whole outstanding and the set understated but equally imposing. The passion of the story line was adequately portrayed and the songs were sung with conviction.

Surtitles appeared on a small screen above the stage translating the script from French to English. I'm not sure whether it was intentional but the screen did not spring into action immediately. Thankfully my limited pigeon French learned from my GCSE studies served me well and I was able to grasp the plot. The screen was discrete and in no way detracted from the performance. I imagined that I would get a crane in my neck from looking upwards but this was certainly not the case.
The opera consisted of four acts and lasted three hours. Carmen was played by Alessandra Volpe. I was not entirely convinced by her delivery as she played the feisty protagonist. She was passionate but I did not connect with her as much as  Jessica Muirhead who played Micaela. I felt that Muirhead's vocal ability and connection with the audience was more exceptional than Volpe's.

The French accents were not completely convincing either and it was often difficult to grasp the words spoken which at times seemed hurried and without clarity.

Performance of the Toreador song and Habanera trademark pieces from the opera were executed beautifully much to the delight of the audience. In summary this was a good performance worthy of 3 out of 5 stars from me. I do not have any other performances to compare this production to but it was certainly a great introduction to opera. I am unlikely to watch Carmen again but it was an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

For more information on further productions by WNO visit here

Comments

Popular Posts