REVIEW: Alan Burton - King of Swing's Performance At Paradox Bar & Bistro Heswall 5th December

Quietly confident, charming and endearing. Sophistication personified

On a blustery Saturday evening, me and  my family went for a meal at the new Paradox Bar & Bistro located on Pensby Road, Heswall. It was an important affair as my boyfriends parents were meeting my parents for the very first time. I'm a huge advocate of sophistication and excellent customer service, so I was not disappointed at all by the ambience of the restaurant and the level of service that ensued throughout the evening.

Imagine my surprise when I noticed a smart gentleman dressed in a suit and trilby hat setting up to perform a gig in the corner of the restaurant. I checked the Paradox website as I sat at the table with my family and noticed that Alan Burton would be singing a collection of ballads and songs from the swing genre throughout the evening. My companions were both delighted and excited as this genre of music was a particular favourite for all.

Alan Burton is an unassuming, highly talented singer who is based in Wilmslow in Cheshire. From the first track, it was clear that he was vocally strong, had undeniable gravitas and performed with a quiet confidence that instantly endeared the audience to him. From festive favourites  from late greats such as Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra, Alan delivered a strong set which proved to be the perfect accompaniment to an evening spent with my loved ones.

 What strikes you immediately is that Alan is passionate about his craft. He sings with passion and puts the audience at ease. As he wandered in between the tables as he sang, his presence was never intimidating or unwelcomed. Conversely, the audience sang along and were captivated by his every note. 
Alan after the first half of his set 
Alan engaged his audience and even encouraged people to go up and dance. He asked me to sing alongside him. I declined only because I did not know all of the lyrics, I had no issue with singing those that I did know from the comfort of my chair. I really didn't want to ruin his performance by giving a mediocre contribution.
Me and my family enjoying the show. Photo credit: Alan Burton
 The highlight of the evening was when Alan kindly sang the classic "Mr Bojangles" for my mum. "This is for Sonia, he announced". As you can imagine, my mum was ecstatic especially when he performed it with incredible style and finesse. Even his whistle in the chorus was en pointe.
I can speak for my whole family when I say that Alan's performance was the highlight of a wonderful evening. We had the most amazing service from the Paradox team and to have the evening polished off by such an incredible performance from Alan was the piece de resistance.
I can't wait to see Alan perform live again soon and I encourage you all to seek him out so that you too can listen to his dulcet tones. Thanks Paradox and thanks Alan.

Like Alan Burton on Facebook
Contact him for booking enquiries on 07811 271 653 or 01625 528205
Contact him by email on alanburtonsinger@live.co.uk
Subscribe to his YouTube channel

Paradox contact number 0151 342 0310
Visit their website
Opening hours:
Tuesday - Thursday 4pm - 12am
Friday - Saturday- 12pm  1am
Sunday - 12pm - 12am

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts