Review: Liverpool Empire presents: The Full Monty




As I got myself comfortable in my seat of the Liverpool Empire, I was not sure what to expect as I was surrounded by a predominantly female audience who were excited to say the least. The heckles that ensued did not last too long and my viewing was not disturbed by the audiences exuberance. This production of The Full Monty written by Simon Beaufoy, an adaptation of the 1997 classic film was phenomenal. Immediately, I was engaged and although the first half was a bit slow in pace, by the time Louis Emerick graced the stage, I was hooked and in fits of uncontrollable laughter. The second half of the performance was mesmerising, captivating, emotional and hilarious in equal measure,

Set in industrial Sheffield, the performance is honest, raw and without pretension. Gary Lucy, the protagonist plays a fantastic Gaz and the audience feels compassion for his tribulations and battle to gain visitation rights to his son Nathan. Whilst I wasn't entirely convinced by his Northern accent, Lucy was a great lead and this did not detract from his delivery.

Louis Emerick (aka Horse) was outstanding, I laughed until I cried. Andrew Dunn (Gerald) was fantastic. You felt his anxiety as he tried to keep his employment status under wraps from his wife. Bobby Schofield who plays Lomper delivers a stunning performance and you can't help but feel endeared to him.  Raif Clarke who plays Gaz's son Nathan was magnificent as were Rupert Hill (Guy) and Martin Miller (Dave).

The performance takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotional highs and lows and has you gripped with sadness and laughing hysterically. Directed by Roger Haines and  choreographed by Ian West, this is a must see. 

The sound quality was not always the best, so some of the dialogue was lost in the vastness of the theatre. The set was incredible, a triumph for designer Robert Jones.

Liverpool audiences certainly gave the cast a warm welcome and showed their appreciation throughout. This adaptation was tastefully done and simply terrific. It tackles serious subject matters but intertwines humour and comedic elements to make it a hit. I could watch it again in a heartbeat.


The show runs until Saturday 25th October. Running time: 2hr 30 mins

Comments

Popular Posts